ARTS IN SCHOOLS BOOST ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT
The benefits of arts education can sometimes be difficult to pinpoint; after all, there is no standardized test to prove what's been learned. Research is proving more and more that arts education helps students excel in all areas of learning.
The arts serve as a critical component to a complete education and are proven to increase student academic achievement. Young people who consistently participate in comprehensive, sequential, and rigorous arts programs are:
- 4 times more likely to be recognized for academic achievement
- 3 times more likely to be elected to class office within their school
- 4 times more likely to participate in a math or science fair
- 3 times more likely to win an award for school attendance
- 4 times more likely to win an award for writing an essay or poem
- National School Boards Association and Americans for the Arts
Hillsdale maintains a thriving arts program, offering students the opportunity to let their creative sides flourish.
Hands-on Fine Arts classes include lessons in Drawing, Painting, Digital Photography, Ceramics and Sculpture.
Performing Arts opportunities include Drama, Improvisation, Classical and Contemporary Dance, Choir, Percussion, Jazz, and Orchestra.
Digital Arts opportunities include Digital Recording and Digital Video.
Please visit individual departments for more specific information.